Tuesday, August 3, 2010

What I should be doing...

I should be ordering Zebra Print lettering for the dance team uniform tops...

I should be calling all the girls to make sure they know when dance camp is...

I should be calling my dad to let him know he can take me off their car insurance...

I should be straightening the house for my mother-in-law's visit in 3.5 hours...

I should be finishing my afghan or Robert's scarf that I began knitting 5 years ago...

But I'm not doing any of those things. Instead I'm baking...

MUFFINS THAT TASTE LIKE DONUTS!
(My slightly modified and healthified version here. Original more decadent version here.)

*And so that you aren't mislead, I haven't tried the real recipe but mine didn't taste exactly like a donut. But then again, when I think of donuts, I think of the original Krispy Kreme glazed, and these are more like the cake type of donut.

Ingredients
- 1 3/4 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoons each of nutmeg and cinnamon (I had no cinnamon, so I used apple pie spice)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce (I just used one of those little "pack in your lunch" containers)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 whole egg
- 3/4 cup unsweetened Almond Milk (Or you could use regular milk if you wanted)
For the topping...
-1/4 cup of Smart Balance Buttery Spread (or your brand of choice)
-1/4 cup of brown sugar (or you could use white)
-1 Tablespoon of cinnamon (I had none, so I left it out and used the brown sugar instead)

Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and seasonings in a bowl. In a separate bowl combine apple sauce, sugar, egg, and milk. Add wet to dry and stir just until combined. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes (mini-muffins) or 15-20 minutes (standard muffins). Meanwhile melt the butter on a plate. On a separate plate spread out the brown sugar (or mix the white with the cinnamon if you're going that route). While muffins are still hot, dip just the top in the butter and then into the sugar. Let cool if you can.

Makes 12 large muffins or 24 mini-muffins

Ohhhh Yeaahh...

2 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to try those muffins that taste like donuts - but I'm scared! Hahaha. They seem so simple and if their TOO good it could be dangerous to my waistline ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many people have been making these muffin donuts right now. I have a serious hankering for a donut. LOL

    ReplyDelete