Saturday, September 4, 2010

Apostle 13

When I was a little girl, I used to tell my momma that when I grew up I wanted to be the first lady. I know that probably goes against all feminist values because I wanted to be the support system and not the actual president; but the thought of throwing parties, decorating the west wing, having influence and behind the scenes access was so attractive to me! Well, I'm not the first lady, but I have to say- I think I came really close. Being a preacher's wife puts me at a level of influence that is both scary and exhilarating. I have the chance to influence so many lives without the pressure of being in the pulpit. And after this week, I am officially a minister's wife because... 

Robert graduated last weekend from Johnson Bible College with a BS in Bible and Church Leadership!

All smiles because he did it! I laughed and told him his diploma actually read "Take this and get out and stop taking all of our scholarship money. Love, JBC." Robert worked really hard for four years, and he managed to graduate cum laude. Not gonna lie- I was jealous. I graduated from William and Mary by the grace of God. :)

Look who made an appearance during the commencement speech! Robert's favorite show- Mythbusters

The whole family came out to celebrate, but Robert's side only got to stay for a day. No worries though, we came home that Saturday for Robert's ordination. (An ordination is where he becomes an official church minister... in case you didn't know that.) Dean asked Robert if he wanted to be ordained as an evangelist or something else, so I suggested Robert ask to be ordained as the thirteenth apostle- a.k.a Apostle 13. Ha! Robert's response? "Oh so I'm the one that doesn't make it eh?" My reply: "Yeah, but they made a movie about you and nobody died!" Oh my goodness, we had way too much fun with that... until we remembered there was already an apostle 13 and 14 for that matter. Apostle 15 just wasn't as fun, so we went with General Minister. 

We take this stuff super seriously, I swear!

We stayed with Robert's parents after a very special dinner meeting I'll be telling more about later, and Sunday morning I was stoked to wake up and find figs in the fridge! I have never had a fresh fig in my entire life, and Dean had gotten some off a tree in a friend's yard. Holy shrimp! They are delicious! I ate a bunch straight from the bowl, and I cut the rest up to put in my oatmeal. Yum yum yum!

Church service was all about Robert. ;) He was ordained right after communion, and then Dean's sermon was about where our life will take us from here. It was super sweet because Robert's dad was so proud of him! We all were! I cried, Mom cried, I had to elbow my Dad when he nodded off (ha ha!), but he was still proud!

I'm so happy for him, and I'm especially happy to be by his side through his journey as a minister. Being a minister's wife is much less pressure than being the president's wife, and it's just as much, if not more, fun. 

I love you Bobert! 

No comments:

Post a Comment