Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Let's talk about sex! (Alternate title: Fitness FAIL)

Robert and I got up at 5:45 this morning with the great intentions of going for a run to train for our 5k. We got stopped in the middle of the second week of training and we have not started back. It's been around two weeks at this point. It took me forever to get poor Bobert out of bed... apparently he couldn't fall asleep last night and was up until 1am. He's such a trooper for getting up and getting dressed anyway. When we got everything together and started to head out we realized that it was pouring rain outside. It usually isn't terrible to run in the rain, but it was cold and still a bit slushy from the snow so we decided to try again tomorrow. Boo Hiss. :(

Robert crashed back into the bed for an hour and a half while I just tooled around the apartment for a bit before hopping in the shower and making oatmeal for breakfast. Classic KERF with banana and skim milk. Pineapple and maple yogurt on top. Super yum, but note to self: heat up the pineapple before you dump it on top next time! I also got to use my french press for the first time and I'm totally in love! The coffee tastes so much richer and much less acidic than it normally does. I drank it with some milk, and I didn't even need stevia. So good! Maybe I can officially replace my morning caffeinated soda with something much more natural.

At school I made myself feel like a total idiot when I thought that my first block was ending at 10:50 instead of the usual 9:59. I was so confused when I let them dawdle around on their sediment lab for over half an hour and I still had an hour and 45 minutes left of class? It's only 90 minutes! How does that even work? LOL! By the time I realized my mistake, we only had 30 minutes of class left for a 45 minute video... Oh well. They will be finishing it tomorrow so it seems.

Second block is normally my planning period, but I was proctoring a writing assessment at 10:50 (the reason I got confused about first), so I had to bust my butt to get some stuff done. I managed to plan/copy for my afternoon Bio classes and tomorrow's ME class. Then I gathered all my grading (I'm way behind on that... but then again, I'm ALWAYS behind on grading), and booked it down to guidance to grab the tests before it was time to start. I got a ton of grading done while the kids were writing, and I also snacked on a hard boiled egg and an orange.

After the test was lunch, so I went to Anne's room to eat with her and Amanda and gossip about our students. ;) I had a PB and J on 'Zeke bread with carrots sticks and hummus by the way, but no pictures. I forgot. :-/ I did try my Jicama sticks and decided that it does not taste well with hummus. I think I'll try to make some Jicama slaw and stick to my carrots and snap peas for my hummus dipping purposes.

Biology classes were interesting today as the topic was meiosis and the kids have 1 million and one questions about sex- 999,999 of which are quite awkward. I don't care though. I guess I feel like I'm as good a source as any to get their info (better than their friends and the internet anyway). So if a doctor isn't embarrassed to ask weird, but honest, questions like "Can you get pregnant from a hot tub?", why should I be? We had a lot of laughs, a lot of blushing girls, and some interesting topics. At least they were curious. I'd be concerned if they didn't ask; that'd make me think they knew from experience! My little freshman babies? Blergh! It makes me shudder to think about it!

After school I stayed in my classroom until 5:30 working, working, working. I'm still not quite caught up, but I'm 99% finished with my unit plan that's due tomorrow. I finally made it home and cooked Skillet Lasagna for dinner. It's one of mine and Robert's faves, so I thought I'd post it since I don't have pics of my snacks or lunch.

Ingredients: 1lb lean ground beef (I used wild venison, because you don't get much more free-range than "wild"), 1 diced onion, a half a carton of sliced mushrooms or whatever other veggies you'd like to throw in, a can of diced tomatoes, a can of tomato sauce, 1.5 cups of water, 2.5 cups of broken whole wheat lasagna noodles or rotini/penne pasta, 1 cup reduced fat or fat free cottage cheese or ricotta, 1 egg or egg white, italian seasonings, salt and pepper, shredded mozzarella, and parmesan cheese.

First you brown your meat and drain off any fat. Then I sauteed my onions and mushrooms in about a tablespoon and a half of olive oil with a teaspoon of minced garlic. I added my meat back to the mixture and threw in my favorite seasonings- about a tsp. each of salt/pepper, oregano, parsley, and basil (heavy on the basil for me since it's my favorite).

Next you add all of your tomatoes and the water to the skillet with the meat. Stir in your pasta (uncooked) and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.

While the pasta is cooking, mix the cottage cheese with the egg and some italian seasonings (I just did basil). Stir the pasta mixture in the pot, and then recover and cook an additional 10 minutes. I used that time to make a HUGE green salad and prep my lunch for tomorrow.

After your pasta has cooked for 20 minutes total, drop the cheese mixture on top by large spoonfuls. Replace the lid and cook for 5 minutes. Top with as little or as much mozzarella and parmesan as you like, plate and serve. It is SO GOOD! And super simple to make. Plus, it's so easy to change to suit your palate. Let me know if you try it!

Well I'm off! Happy Groundhog's Day! Here's the finished product!

1 comment:

  1. we are going back to veg a rama on thursday night with two other bloggers/readers and we're doing yoga before! let me know if you want to join!