Saturday, February 27, 2010

As Usual, the Media does more Harm than Good

This has been a crazy week, and I swear the four administrators actually danced a little happy dance when all the kids went home for the weekend on Friday. Update on Terry- She's gonna make a full recovery! Not sure when she'll be out of the hospital, but it seems as though she won't suffer any lasting damage. I don't blame her if she retires at the end of the year though!

I have long been of the opinion that that the media ruins everything, but I never imagined it would hit so close to home for me. If Terry had never been hurt on Tuesday, those students would have been suspended and everything would have resumed as normal. However, since the news ran with the story and sent out all sort of speculation on the web instead of keeping the whole ordeal contained and internal, we've had random comments about guns and gangs at KHS posted by uninformed parents or trouble maker students on WBIR, facebook, myspace- you name it. Of course in this day and age, EVERYTHING has to be taken seriously, so Friday morning I drove to school and was greeted with yet another news van, half the Knox County PD, and a metal detector. I never thought I'd actually have to experience a random search entering into my own school building, but here it was. I guess that's what I get for going into education in these paranoid and often scary times. They didn't actually search the faculty, just "random" students. As always though it seemed like they would single out "suspicious" looking kids. I had one student who's a little... goth? I'm not sure what to call it. He does his own thing, but he's a nice kid and he was so mad that they pulled him out of the crowd. He's convinced it's because he's different, and I would agree with him. I told him it's sad that it has to be that way, and I know it sucks to be singled out, but he has nothing to hide. He's just got to do what he has to and know that they're just trying to keep everybody safe.

Anyway, the ridiculousness of everything made for a very stressful day, and practically student-free to boot since parent's were allowed to keep their kids home that day if they were concerned for their safety. I italicize not to cheapen the word, but because I seriously think KHS is one of the safest schools around, and with the place swarming with police, the likelihood of anything actually happening was extremely slim. Apparently the increased security will continue into next week, so my prayers for snow have tripled. I can't wait until the media finds someone else to pick on and leaves us ALONE!

So to keep my mind off all the crap in my life this week, I've spent a lot of time with a few of my favorite things.

Food/cooking of course- Here's a rundown of yesterday and today's eats. 

Breakfast: Oatmeal Friday, French Toast Saturday



Lunch: The BEST buffalo "chicken" salad with cottage cheese and fruit for Friday and Tomato soup, a grilled cheese, and a salad for Saturday


Dinner: A fake McRib sandwich on a thin with bbq tempeh (our first time cooking this. verdict: decent. kind of tasted like peanuts, but we'll try it again.) and a side of brussel sprouts that turned out HORRIDLY! All I did was roast them! I don't know why they were awful! Tonights dinner was Mac and cheese with sauteed artichokes on the side- 'twas DIVINE, but I'll have to post the pic another time.


Yoga


Bobert tried doing yoga with me! He was so cute. :) Here he is beasting the crow pose and here I am doing downward dog. I think Quincy took Robert's down dog a little too seriously- she humped his leg!!! HA HA HA! That's right, our spayed FEMALE beagle humped my husband's leg. He was SO confused, because he had no idea that females would do that. I laughed and laughed and laughed! It was probably the best yoga session I've ever had. :D




Prep for Robert's birthday


Robert turned our guest room into a recording studio so he and the guys could do some recording for their (un-named) band. They sound amazing! But since I don't have the patience to listen to them work on the same song all afternoon, I took advantage of his being occupied and went out to prep for his quickly approaching birthday. I bought his present (a new thin-line NIV bible, since his other preaching bible is falling apart at the seams), his birthday cake (a cake batter ice cream cake), and finished prepping all the stuff for tomorrow's taco bar party after church. It will be a blast! I'll put pics up of his party tomorrow or Monday, and when Robert has finalized all the bands stuff, I'll try to post a video or a recording of their song! Here they are hard at work-

Our Guest Room the Recording Studio and the Boys in the Band


Robert editing on the best computer ever!


Lucas manning the recording while Robert plays his part on the bass.

No comments:

Post a Comment